Monday, August 9, 2010

Diagnosis: Hypochondria

I often joke with my doctor when I tell him I specialized in Hypochondria in medical school. He smiles but I know he's thinking stay far away from Dr. Google or Webmd. Too late.

I've had migraine headaches most of my life. I've had a brain MRI and several neurology consults. Good news, my headaches are not due to a brain tumor or any equally scary reasons. They are just migraines. Treated with medication and mostly controlled. I know what triggers them: changes in sleep patterns, some foods and not eating on a certain schedule. But I'm not giving up on sleeping in on the weekends or staying away from the foods that I know cause them (except anything with MSG, cause that will cause a headache before I can blink). So I'll just make sure I always have the appropriate medicines within arms reach.

When I don't eat early enough, my blood sugar drops and I get what a neurologist told me is benign essential tremor. I once tried to tell my family doctor that I had Parkinson's Disease. He asked me if I knew any of the symptoms beside the tremors. I said no and guess what, he refused to tell me what they were. Smart doctor, I would have convinced myself I had them all.

I've noticed in the last couple of months that half of the big toe on my left foot is kinda numb. I just know I have diabetes. But since I'm deathly afraid of needles and I've googled the symptoms of diabetes and I don't have any of them I'll just chalk it up to Left Great Digit Paresthesias (I totally made that up, sounds real doesn't it?). Oh, and I might have a touch of hoarding cause I'm watching  Hoarding: Buried Alive on TLC and a symptom is buying stuff you don't need. I *might* do that every now and them.

I'm available for consultations.

No comments:

Post a Comment