Monday, September 6, 2010

The Gene Pool

My family gene pool contains some really strong DNA for talent. I was beginning to think it had been strained out when I got my helping.

My Grandma could create cakes that would have every judge on the Food Network singing her praises. She made fondant awesome way before The Cake Boss or The Ace of Cakes were even born. She made cookies that were truly works of art. She also created amazing ceramic dolls with the tiniest perfect details. She passed away far too young and most of her grandchildren were too young to remember many of her wonderful talents. My cousins must have inherited some of her talents because they can cook and bake just like her. Me? Not so much.

My mom is one of the most creative people I know. Her scrapbook pages rival pages from the finest classic novels. No, really they do. She has vision for beautiful things that she can create. I can see the vision, though sometimes it's a little like looking through oatmeal, but creating it? Not so much. She knits and crochets the softest blankets. Many babies have been snuggled in those blankets. I, on the other hand, generally end up with slightly discolored fingers as I cut off the circulation with tight stitches and because I need all my digits I don't tempt fate.

When I started this blog about a month ago I wasn't sure what to expect. I read a lot of blogs and the writers are, well writers. Most of them started writing when something traumatic happened and they just needed somewhere to let all the emotions flow. I wouldn't call anything in my life traumatic (compared to the loss of a child or anything equally as devastating) but I do have thoughts and emotions that rattle around in my head and the idea of having somewhere to put them is pretty comforting. When I think of the words and the thoughts, they just seem to flow from my fingertips almost faster than I can type. When I go back to proofread (because spelling errors MAKE ME CRAZY) I kinda amaze myself that I can articulate my thoughts fairly well. Maybe that makes me a writer too. Clearly, my little blog doesn't compare to a published novel but for now I'm just thrilled that it appears that a few of the talent genes made it into me. Even if it is a very small helping.

2 comments:

  1. Honey,Whether it is ceramics, baking, cooking, crocheting, scrapbooking or WRITING THOUGHTS or STORIES, do what you love to do. That is where your talent comes from. You inherited little bits from all your family. Use it as you want. You are giving lots of people enjoyment with your humor and insight into everyday problems and joys. Your thoughts and remarks about me make me feel very blessed to be your mom. I love you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not really sure what I'm good at. I like to make people laugh but sometimes I'm so deadpan that people don't get me. Meh, maybe I'll figure out more talents as I get older.

    ReplyDelete