Friday, November 19, 2010

Paging Dr. OMG Are You Out Of High School

Last week I made a doctors appointment with Dr. Awesome to look at some funky bumpy mess on my back. I figured it was probably a creepy rash that was obviously a symptom of some disease that only has investigational cures.

The appointment was today. Early this morning the office called me to let me know Dr. Awesome wasn't going to be in the office but that I could keep the appointment if I was okay to see the new doctor in the practice.  Yea, whatever, I just wanted to make it go away. STAT!

After the obligatory weight (I took 10 pounds off in my mind), blood pressure and temperature I sat back and waited for the doctor to get to me.  He knocked and opened the door. Standing there was a kid who looked to be about, oh, 12 or so. Certainly it wasn't bring your kid to work day at the doctors office. I just kept waiting for Dr. Dad to enter behind him, but no, this kid was the doctor!

I was going to make some witty comment about Doogie Howser MD but I was worried that A. He wasn't old enough to have ever seen Doogie Howser or B. I would seem REALLY old. I kept to the facts and gave him the run down of my embarrassing and completely gross symptoms. He took a look at my back (I'm pretty sure my bra strap was one of the first he'd ever seen). And declared that it was just acne. Since he's clearly still in puberty he probably knows what acne looks like so I'll take his word for it.

Apparently, the acne I had when I was a teenager took a hiatus and came back with a vengeance some 25 years later. Now I have an appointment with a dermatologist who better be older than Dr. Can't Buy Beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment