Monday, November 22, 2010

He Didn't Get It From Me

My kid can cook. Well!

I can't boil water. At all!

On our last trip to Hobby Lobby (my new favorite craft oasis) he strolled through the aisles of cake pans and icing tips with the glazed over look of a kid in a toy store. Seriously, he was mesmerized by pastry bags and gum paste. Gum paste doesn't even sound edible! Fondant smoothers, rolling pins and cookie cutters, oh my.

We left the store with a small bag containing: food coloring (guaranteed not to thin icing, in case that's important), 2 shiny, silver decorating tips, and tiny leaf shaped cutters. As far as he was concerned it was a treasure trove of the appropriate tools.

He decided that we would have cake for Thanksgiving with fondant instead of canned icing, which I tried to explain to him is just as good. He didn't believe me! I know these things, give me a can of chocolate frosting and a spoon and I've got a meal. Kinda explains my ever expanding waistline. Anyhow, I've researched fondant on the internets and let me tell you, no one has anything nice to say about it. We're going with a recipe of marshmallows and powdered sugar with water. We found a box of pre-made fondant that we could just roll out but the internet people said it doesn't taste very good so we passed.

Not only does he want it covered in fondant but it has to have layers. How many, I'm not sure. Personally, I think he's seen one too many episodes of Cake Boss on TLC. Oh, and not just white fondant. He wants colors! Ummm, marshmallows AND  powdered sugar are white, color could be a problem. I bought icing coloring, so we'll give it a shot but I'm skeptical. The plan is to have brown fondant with orange, red and yellow leaves. Lofty goals in my opinion. I, of course, will have a very small part in the creation of this masterpiece because I don't have a strand of DNA that contains any baking genes.

He's barely able to contain his excitement about making this cake. Pastry school in his future? Possibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment