Sunday, December 5, 2010

Experiencing It All

When we first moved to Florida, it was hard to find the Christmas spirit anywhere near December. Sure we had some cool days but 70 degree weather does not lovingly coax you into holiday excitement like the 20 or 30 degree weather of Ohio does.

After being here for almost 10 years I've accepted that Christmas has very little to do with cold temperatures and much more to do with being with people that you love.

Over the last couple of days, I've done just that.

My sweetie, Nick and I went with Tracey, Tim and Katie to watch a Symphony in Lights display where IT SNOWED. Okay, so it was really a flurry of soap bubbles but it looked like snow and it was 50 or so degrees so we could kinda pretend it was snow. Nick was in awe. I forget that he doesn't remember snow well.

We also went to a re-creation of Bethlehem. Again it was chilly, enough that we shivered. It was extremely well done and reminded me that Christmas is less about shopping and gifts and more about remembering why we celebrate the holiday at all. Nick asked a lot of questions about what was happening. I kinda made up some of the answers but I don't think he knew I was bluffing (not on purpose). I got the important details right but for the life of me I couldn't remember what gifts the 3 wise men gave the baby Jesus. Frankincense, myrrh and gold I was reminded by the actors that were very convincing wise men. Of all of them I forgot the gold! I think I made up some other spice name. I might have said ginger root or something like that. My answer must have been at least a little authentic sounding, he didn't question it.

The Christmas tree is up and sparkling. It was lovingly decorated with the same carefully chosen decorations that we use every. single. year. I wouldn't trade any of my ornament for the most expensive decorations available. I love each one! We have 1 for each babies first Christmas of our grandchildren and some that we each acquired before his and her became ours. The rest we've purchased together. Our tree looks the same every year but I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't understand those people that buy new ornaments every year to change the "theme", no offense to those who do, I just don't get it.

The weekend will be rounded out by a visit to Busch Gardens. They have lovely Christmas shows and beautiful poinsettias. Sharing it with family only makes it more spectacular. The warmer weather does make this part more enjoyable.

Maybe some online shopping in the next couple of days. The shopping part may not be the focus of the holiday season but it is pretty awesome to to buy things for the people that I love.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment